Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Spurling served in the United States Marine Corps as a Scout Sniper and a Scout Sniper Instructor, Mr. Spurling brings the same level of focus, dedication and loyalty he developed in the Marine Corps to serving his clients.
John D. Spurling focuses his practice on complex business litigation, real estate litigation and workout matters. Mr. Spurling has represented clients in a wide range of matters, including lender liability and problem loan disputes, partnership disputes, loan servicing disputes, lease disputes, partition actions, foreclosures, bankruptcy, violations of the Visual Artist’s Rights Act, and breach of duty by escrow companies.
Mr. Spurling has also represented clients in numerous state and federal court receivership actions involving multi-million dollar properties and the servicing of large loan portfolios. In addition, Mr. Spurling has represented both lenders and guarantors in suits regarding the enforceability of guaranties.
Southern California Rising Star 2013, 2014, 2015
Notable Published Decisions:
- Obtained reversal of an opinion issued by the Court of Appeals of the State of Washington resulting in a published decision entitled Clark County v. Western Washington Growth Management Hearings Bd., 177 Wash. 2d 136 (2013).
- Prevailed in appeal of a judgment on a continuing guaranty resulting in a published decision entitled Gray1 CPB, LLC v. Kolokotronis, 202Cal.App. 4th 480 (2011).
- Prevailed in an appeal affirming the issuance of a writ of attachment resulting in a published decision entitled California Retail Portfolio Fund GmbH & Co. KG v. Hopkins Real Estate Group, 193 Cal. App. 4th 849 (2011).
- Prevailed in an appeal overturning a trial court’s ruling on California’s Anti-SLAPP statute, which resulted in the published decision entitled Haneline Pacific Properties, LLC v. May, 167 Cal.App. 4th 311 (2008).
- Prevailed in a AAA arbitration between partners relating to various breaches of fiduciary duty in connection with the construction and conversion of a high-rise condominium project.
- Prevailed in a JAMS arbitration for the partition of the ownership of a beach front resort.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a lender in action against former loan servicer.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of partners in connection with the disputed ownership of a portfolio of retail properties.